Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies
Chiacchiere / Italian Fritter
• 6 eggs (room temperature)
• 6 tbsp olive oil (plus additional olive oil for frying)
• 6 tbsp sugar
• 2 cups flour (plus additional flour for kneading)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• ¼ oz of your favourite liqueur (rum, anisette, grappa, sambuca, limoncello)
• Powdered sugar for dusting
Put the eggs, olive oil, liqueur and sugar in a bowl and beat well. Gradually add the flour and baking powder to make soft and sticky dough.
Knead the dough with the addition of some flour until it is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a ball, and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or overnight if possible).
Take the refrigerated dough and roll it out to about a 1/8 to a ¼ inch with a rolling pin. Cut the dough into strips using a knife or pastry tool, about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long, and shape them into bows.
Half fill a deep pot or frying pan with olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bows and deep fry them on both sides until they are golden brown. Drain them on paper towel and sprinkle them with icing sugar. To keep them crispy, store them in a paper bag.
RELATED ARTICLES & WINE PAIRING