• 170 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
• 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
• 250 grams granulated sugar
• 1/2 tsp lemon oil
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 300 grams flour, type “00”, imported Italian variety such as Caputo brand
• 1 pkg. (16 gr.) Italian cake yeast, such as Bertolini
• 1 pkg. Vanillina, such as Paneangeli brand
• pinch of salt
• 100 grams pine nuts
1-2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar), for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 10-inch diameter by 3-inch high cake pan. Place a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Lightly flour pan. In a small bowl, sift the flour, yeast, vanillina and salt. Set aside.
Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Set aside. In a bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat butter and egg yolks until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue beating until pale yellow. Add the lemon oil and zest. Add the flour a little at a time. Mix well. Mix half the pine nuts then fold in the egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining pine nuts. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar and serve with a glass of Vin Santo or Moscato D’Asti.
Preparation time: 40 min
Cooking time: 45 min
Submit your family Recipes to Panoram Italia. The best ones might even get published in our Magazine: firstname.lastname@example.org