For salsa verde:
• 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 2 sprigs of fresh oregano
• 2 sprigs of fresh marjoram
• 6 leaves of fresh sage
• 12 leaves of fresh basil
• 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
• 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
• 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons of Kosher salt (plus some extra for seasoning)
• 1 teaspoon of ground paprika
• 2 cloves of finely chopped Quebec garlic
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 ¼ cup of olive oil
For Mashed Potatoes:
• 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
• 1 cup of 35% cooking cream
• 1 cup of unsalted butter
• 1 cup of grated smoked cacciocavallo
(substitute with cheese of your choice)
• Salt to taste
• 2kg of fresh pork belly with skin on
• 750g of fresh capicollo
Finely chop all herbs and then add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice and 1 cup of olive oil. Stir well and reserve.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Lay out the pork belly (skin side down) on a work surface and drizzle 5 tablespoons of salsa verde onto it. Use hands or the back of a spoon to massage the salsa verde into the pork belly for about 1 minute. Make sure it is evenly spread. Cut and place the fresh capicollo so that it is lined up down the middle of the pork belly and so the pork belly can be wrapped around the capicollo. Tie a butcher’s twine tightly around the rolled pork belly at approximately every 2 inches. Place the porchetta in a roasting pan and rub with the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt. Place the porchetta in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 4 ½ hours.
Boil the potatoes until tender then strain out water. Put the cream and butter in a small pot on the stovetop until it reaches a boil. Mash the potatoes and slowly incorporate the cream, butter and smoked cacciocavallo. Then cover with plastic wrap and reserve.
• Remove porchetta from the oven when ready and let it rest for 20 minutes.
• Place the mashed potatoes on a platter with a slice of porchetta on top of it.
• Lastly, drizzle the remaining salsa verde over the dish and serve.