¾ cup unsalted butter
• 1 ½ cup sugar
• 2 cups of milk
• 2 cups of cornmeal
• 4 eggs
• ¾ tsp. baking soda
• 1 dash of kosher salt
• 10 oz of rock shrimp (or Laughing Bird shrimp)
• 1 oz cooking brandy
• 50 g celery
• 50 g leeks
• 25 g ginger
• 50 g roasted garlic
• 2 tbsp. butter
1. In a saucepot, bring butter, sugar and milk to a boil.
2. Once brought to a boil, bring down to a low simmer and add the cornmeal. Cook lightly until a thick consistency.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and baking soda.
4. Once the cornmeal mixture is thick, add to the eggs and continue mixing.
5. Once fully incorporated, pour into hot molds and bake in oven at 375°F for approximately 20 minutes.
Rock Shrimp instructions
1. In a hot cast iron skillet, sauté rock shrimp with celery, leeks, ginger and roasted garlic for two minutes, then deglaze with cooking brandy.
2. Once deglazed, throw in butter until smooth sauce consistency.
3. Season with salt, pepper and a bit of Korean red chili flakes, and pour over cornbread and serve.