recipe by Vanessa Gianfrancesco, photo by Daniele Tomelleri, video by Vittoria Zorfini
This classic dish gets an Italian makeover with the inclusion of quality olive oil, fresh herbs, garlic and lemon juice. It’s perfect for a summertime BBQ because it pairs well with just about anything, from meats to fish to sandwiches.
Ingredients / Ingredienti
- 6 large Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled / patate Yukon o Russet grandi, pelate
- 2 litres chicken stock / litri di brodo di pollo
- ½ cup good quality olive oil / tazza di olio d’oliva di buona qualità
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated until it resembles a paste /spicchi d’aglio, sminuzzati o grattugiati in modo che diventino una crema
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped / tazza di prezzemolo fresco, finemente tagliato
- ½ cup fresh scallions or green onions, finely chopped / tazze di scalogno o cipolle verdi, finemente tagliati
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped / cucchiaio di origano fresco, finemente tagliato
- 1 lemon, zested / la scorza di un limone
- 1 tbsp salt / cucchiaio di sale
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper / cucchiaino di pepe macinato fresco
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano / tazza di Parmigiano Reggiano grattugiato fresco
Cut the potatoes into 1½ inch cubes. If you are doing this in advance, be sure to keep them in water until you are ready to cook them to prevent them from turning brown.
In a large pot, add in the potatoes and cover with cold chicken stock. If the potatoes are not covered with stock, simply compensate with water. Bring to a boil, add salt and cook on high heat for 10 minutes. Poke the potatoes with a knife to make sure that they are cooked. Once they are, strain the potatoes.
In a bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, parsley, scallions or green onions, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add in the cooked potatoes and toss with the olive oil mixture (it is perfectly normal if the potatoes mash slightly). Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano. Taste to make sure that there is enough seasoning before serving. Serve warm or cold. This salad can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.