Prepared by Sara Germanotta
Italy is one of the biggest producers of pistachios in the world. With their crunchy exterior and soft, tender centre, these cookies are perfect with your afternoon espresso. They’re are also a great make-ahead holiday treat because they freeze well. They can be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Ingredients / Ingredienti
• 1 cup sugar / tazza di zucchero
• 1 cup brown sugar / tazza di zucchero di canna
• 1 cup vegetable oil / tazza di olio vegetale
• 1 tbsp pistachio extract / cucchiaio di estratto di pistacchio
• 3 eggs / uova
• 3 tsp baking powder / cucchiaini di lievito in polvere
• 2 cups pistachio flour / tazze di farina di pistacchio
• 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour / tazze di farina multiuso
• 1 cup powdered sugar / tazza di zucchero a velo
- Whole pistachios, to garnish / pistacchi interi per guarnire
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease baking sheets with non-stick spray. In a bowl, stir together the flour, pistachio flour and baking powder. Set aside. Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugars and oil. Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Next, add the pistachio extract. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined. This is a relatively soft cookie dough. Form the dough into balls and roll into the powdered sugar. Place about two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Press a pistachio into the centre of each cookie. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Yield: Approximately 30 cookies.