Prepared by Sara Germanotta
I love to bake with cranberries and citrus fruit during the holidays because their bright, tart flavours work so well after a heavy holiday dinner. Crumbles are very easy to put together and can be made with any combination of seasonal fruit. I like to add Grand Marnier to the cranberry filling, but you can replace the liqueur with one teaspoon of vanilla extract if you prefer. This tart can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
Ingredients / Ingredienti
Crust & Topping / Pasta frolla e guarnizione
• 3 cups all-purpose flour / tazze di farina multiuso
• 1 ¼ cup brown sugar / tazza di zucchero di canna
• 1 tsp baking powder / cucchiaino di lievito in polvere
• ½ tsp salt / cucchiaino di sale
• 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes / tazza di burro freddo tagliato a cubetti
• 1 egg, lightly beaten / uovo, leggermente sbattuto
• 1 tsp cinnamon / cucchiaino di cannella
• 1 tsp ginger / cucchiaino di zucchero
- ½ cup slivered almonds / tazza di mandorle a scaglie
Ingredients / Ingredienti
Filling / Farcitura
• 4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen / tazze di mirtilli rossi, freschi o surgelati
• Juice & grated rind from one orange / succo e buccia di 1 arancia
• 3 tbsp cornstarch / cucchiai di amido di mais
• 1 cup sugar / tazza di zucchero
• ¼ tsp baking soda / cucchiaino di lievito in polvere
• ½ tsp cinnamon / cucchiaino di cannella
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier Liqueur / cucchiai di liquore Grand Marnier
Glaze Ingredients / Ingredienti
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar / tazza di zucchero a velo
- 1-2 tsp milk / cucchiani di latte
Method for the crust
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-inch tart pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together 3 cups of flour, 1 cup of brown sugar, baking powder and ½ tsp salt. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers. Add the beaten egg. Press half the dough into the prepared tart pan and refrigerate. Add ¼ cup brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and almonds to the remaining half of the dough. Place in the fridge while you make filling.
Method For the filling
In a saucepan, whisk together the orange juice and cornstarch until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps. Next, stir in the cranberries, orange rind, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and Grand Marnier. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Allow mixture to simmer until the cranberries have softened and sauce has thickened, about five minutes. Pour cranberry filling into prepared tart crust and sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Method For the glaze
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add a bit more milk. If it’s too thin, add powdered sugar. Drizzle glaze over tart.
photo by Daniele Tomelleri