These giant grilled shrimp are the perfect accompaniment to a Mediterranean-style salsa made from sweet garden tomatoes, salty olives, fresh herbs and pungent olive oil. This easy recipe works as the main dish for a light meal or gluten-free appetizer.
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I love the U10) / gamberi grandi pelati. Togliere anche il filamento nero (adoro quelli U10)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest / cucchiaio di scorza di limone
- 1 tsp salt / cucchiaino di sale
- ¼ cup olive oil / di tazza di olio d’oliva
- 1 lemon, juiced (reserve) / succo di un limone (mettere da parte)
Ingredients / Ingredienti Mediterranean-Style Salsa / Salsa in perfetto stile mediterraneo
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered / tazze di pomodorini, tagliati in quattro
- ½ avocado, diced / avocado a cubetti
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped / tazza di olive Kalamata, denocciolate e spezzettate
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil / tazza di olio extravergine d’oliva
- ¼ cup basil, thinly sliced / tazza di basilico, finemente tagliato
- Salt and pepper to taste / Sale e pepe a piacimento
In a bowl, mix together the shrimp, lemon zest, salt and olive oil. Toss to coat and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours. In a separate bowl, prepare the salsa by combining the cherry tomatoes, avocado, Kalamata olives, extra virgin olive oil and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Be sure to make this right before serving to ensure that the avocado stays bright and green. Otherwise, you can make the salsa and add the avocado at the very end.
Warm your indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Grill the shrimp about 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from the grill, douse with the reserved lemon juice and place over the salsa.